We usually start a year with the feeling of a fresh, clean slate. As if the choices we make can be new because it's a NEW year. That's totally as true as we want it to be ;) And we ALL get caught up in the craziness that is the dancelife year. It's easy to forget all about any intentions you had for this year being different.
So this is OUR half-time list. A half-yearly chance to check in and reality check. In our dance house we do this to STAY ON TRACK. To stay as clear as possible and let go of any habits/ behaviors that are holding us back or that need a refresh.
1. WRITE DOWN 6 things that you want to leave behind in the first half of the year (eg. comparing yourself to others, overthinking, self-doubt etc).
2. WRITE DOWN 6 things that you want to focus on between now and December (eg. things to improve on, being more positive about your skills/strengths, specific goals).
3. MAKE or update a playlist of songs to keep you on track - your I CAN DO IT soundtrack. Your anthems. No matter how old you are... we're musical people i.e. music makes us feel things and we can make that useful!
4. STRETCH - your body AND that 'monkey mind'. Whether this is a break time in your dance year or the most intense part of the season. YOUR BODY - get warm first then remind your body who it is and what it is capable of. YOUR MIND - change your routine, go see something new, take a different class, REMIND yourself of the enthusiasm you have for dance (and that sometimes gets lost under the pressures and TO DO list)
5. CLEAN OUT your dance bag or hand bag. I get it, this doesn't sound very exciting (but sometimes the most practical things don't!!). But this is about REPACKING the way you might for a vacation or your first day at dance. It's about getting rid of the wrappers, the pen lids and crumpled up pieces of paper - and treating it all quite literally with the excitement that we do for something we're REALLY ready for and pumped to dive into. Because it's dance and if we MEAN it then it's worth the effort.
6. WALK into the studio next time like it's the FIRST TIME you're taking class. EVER. Again, no matter how old you are and whether or not you're the teacher or student! When we forget how AWESOME it is to do what we do, the magic fades. We start to take it for granted. We forget how LUCKY we are to HAVE and DO this.
Aaaaannnddd... OVER TO YOU! With love and light as always Xx
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
As1creative - Jo & Christina. But mostly Jo on this one ;)